Krycek

Krycek

Phoenix (The Complete Action Series)
David Alexander
Progress: 60 %
Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis - Warren Ellis, Kaare Andrews Collecting issues #1-5 of The Astonishing X-Men, the X-Men go to Africa to investigate what might possibly be a rash of mutant births, but it turns out to be something else entirely. What that was I didn't quite get and it seemed to me that the book ended with an abrupt and dissatisfying conclusion. Maybe this was just part of a longer story arc, but it certainly doesn't work well as a standalone.

Ellis, whom I usually like, seemed to be on autopilot on this one. While he tried to make some serious points on colonialism and human rights in Africa they fell flat in the midst of hackneyed dialogue, super-powered battles and Emma Frost's enormous breasts. Kaare Andrews' artwork, while technically fantastic, really needs to rein it in a bit regarding human anatomy. While I don't mind artistic liberty to convey power or sexiness, Andrews' artwork nudged a bit into the realm of grotesquerie.

All in all, a short and lackluster read. I may pick up the rest from the library since its free, but "astonishing" is a bit of an overstatement.